We’re building Kiddom to be a collaborative platform to allow teachers and learners to work together effortlessly, no matter where they are. To that end, today we released a completely redesigned platform, one which will help teachers plan, assess, and analyze learning in one cohesive system.
Why redesign Kiddom? Well, we’ve been doing our homework. And we’ve learned that teachers are often set up for failure from the start of the school year. They’re expected to plan a year’s worth of curriculum without knowing much about their incoming students. Once the year gets underway, they’re expected to keep up with the ever-changing needs of each student. Yet the tools teachers have access to don’t allow for the flexibility required to focus on individuals. By the end of the school year, this becomes a source of frustration and teachers reflect on how they might minimize this sense of powerlessness next year. The school year is effectively an emotional roller coaster ride for teachers. But with this version of Kiddom, we hope to change that.
What is Timeline?
Keeping track of class work, including late submissions, can get cumbersome. With Timeline, you can add, view, and grade class and individual student assignments all from one place.
How Timeline works:
- Press the blue + button to start building an assignment. Add details and feel free to attach a file or a document from Google Drive.
- If you don’t want to reinvent the wheel or need resources fast, use Kiddom’s content library and search for standards-aligned content.
- You can assign to everyone, a group, or an individual student. You can even sort by mastery level to assign by performance level.
- To get the most out of Kiddom’s reporting, append standards to assignments.
- Once you’ve shared an assignment, you’ll come back to your Timeline. Click the assignment created to start grading. From here, you’ll be able to see who completed their work and who hasn’t. Click on a student to grade and leave feedback.
Once you’ve created an assignment, you can always come back and edit it. So don’t worry about making mistakes.
What is Planner?
Curriculum design is fundamentally emotional work, representing the journey educators plan for students to make meaningful connections. With Kiddom’s Planner, teachers can finally design curriculum for a class and modify pathways for groups or individual students.
How Planner works:
- Open Planner from the right side of your Timeline. Create a new unit and add a title and description.
- Add content to units by clicking the blue + button in the Planner. Add a single assignment or a playlist, which is a group of assignments. Playlists are great for grouping resources like videos, readings, and quizzes on the same topic.
- To assign, simply drag the assignment or playlist into your Timeline. To assign content to an individual, simply filter your Timeline to reflect the student you’d like to assign directly.
We have a sneaking suspicion you’ll be geeking out with Planner. Don’t hold back.
With Kiddom’s new beautiful, actionable reports, it’s never been easier to analyze performance and pivot instruction. Reports help monitor student progress over time, track growth by mastery level, and analyze both class and student performance on individual standards.
How Reports work:
- Once you’ve added and graded assignments, your reports will spring to life. Select weekly or monthly reports to view mastery data for the desired time frame.
- The first reporting metric, Class Grade Average, depicts your overall class mastery. This is the class average on all graded assignments.
- Scroll down to view mastery groups as a stacked line graph. This graph groups students by mastery level over time. Clicking on the number of students in a group reveals the students while clicking on a data point reveals where students lie at the end of any given week or month.
- Next, your Class Standards Mastery tracks every standard assessed in your class. The lines depict the progress made on each standard. A single dot with dotted lines indicates there is only one assignment aligned to that standard.
- To obtain reports for individual students, use the drop down menu on the left to choose the student you’d like to analyze. To download and print your reports, click on the “download reports” button.
Personalized learning doesn’t happen magically. Teachers must effectively use student achievement data to adjust their practice in real-time. With these reports, that’s now possible. Hooray!
We recognize every classroom is unique. That’s why we redesigned settings as your personal command center: to manage the finer details of your class.
How Settings work:
- Access your settings by clicking on your avatar. Clicking on a class will let you manage the finer details of your classes.
- Edit the subjects and grade levels of your class from the “info” tab. Don’t forget, you’re allowed to have multiple grades and subjects for each class. You can also manage the standards appended to your class. Add custom standards from here.
- Manage your students from the “students” tab and click “manage students.” You can add students manually, import from another class, import from Google, or invite them to join on their own via your class code.
- The grading tab allows you to modify grading methodology and calculation. Adjust your reports to show percentages, mastery, letter grades, or grade points. You can also adjust how your grades are calculated here (weighted, unweighted, or max value). Add additional assignment types to reflect the assignments types of your classroom.
- Add or edit rubrics from the final tab, “Rubrics.” Add your own rubrics or add rubrics from Kiddom’s bank of preset rubrics.
There’s a lot of power in being able to modify Kiddom to meet your needs, as well as your students’. If you love to customize your tools, you’re going to love your new settings.
While we’re incredibly excited about the new Kiddom, we know there’s more work to be done. Over the next several months, we’re going to focus on building additional feature sets to accelerate our vision of building a collaborative education platform. In the meantime, let us know what you think in the comments, or chat with us directly using the in-app support chat tool. Kiddom’s mission is to unlock potential for all teachers and learners. With today’s redesigned platform launch, we’re excited to get one step closer to a world where more teachers have time to connect with and inspire students.
Kiddom seamlessly connects the most critical aspects of teaching and learning on one platform.
For the first time, educators can share and manage digital curriculum, differentiate instruction, and assess student work in one platform with integrated tools for communication.
Ready to bring digital curriculum to your school or district?
Connect with us in a 15-minute meeting to learn more about available pre-packaged curriculum by Open Up Resources, and how the Kiddom education platform can support your learning community.